Sports crack winless run at fifth attempt after late drama
- Credit: Narice Gutteridge
Leverington Sports Ladies earned their first victory of the Cambridgeshire Women’s County League Division One season after a seven-goal thriller.
The Fenland team came away 4-3 winners at Histon Ladies on Sunday, their first triumph in five attempts.
Goalkeeper Kyra Portugal was called into action early on, but was beaten on 20 minutes.
That sparked Leverington into life as Sophie Swinden fired home to level, but a counter-attack ensured Histon would go into half-time in front.
Euan Simpson’s side needed a response and they found one – Amy Newell’s fearsome 30-yard drive hauling them back to 2-2.
Laura Dudley then edged Leverington into the lead, before Histon grabbed an equaliser with 15 minutes remaining.
But after Portugal claimed a home free-kick, she freed Newell who ran in to fire into the net two minutes from the end.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 5 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 10 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
Leverington host Waterbeach Colts Women in a county cup tie on Sunday, November 7, 1.45pm kick-off.