LOCAL FOOTBALL: Flintoft signs off as Whittlesey Athletic Reserves boss with big win - but promotion is out of their hands
- Credit: Archant
Whittlesey Athletic Reserves face a nervous wait to find out if they have clinched promotion to the PDFL Premier Division.
Max Flintoft’s men jumped into third place – the final promotion spot – in Division One courtesy of a 4-0 win at Glinton & Northborough on the final day, but could slip down into fourth if Sutton Bridge United beat Warboys this Saturday.
A double from Jack Flintoft and strikes from Jack Carter and Rik Hailstone gave boss Flintoft the perfect send-off as boss last Saturday, and the navy-bound manager says he couldn’t be more proud of his side’s achievements this season.
“It was great to sign off my last game with a win and give the club a glimmer of hope of getting back in the Premier Division where they belong,” he said.
“I can’t thank the club enough for their support and giving me the opportunity to manage the team for the past two seasons.
“As a young manager I have learnt so much, which I will use hopefully in management in the future.
“It’s been a great season for us; winning the Cambs Cup, fighting for promotion, going unbeaten in the league for 18 games and only losing once since October.
- 1 Three March locals win £30k each on Postcode Lottery
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Man assaulted partner and police officers in March
- 4 Carnival lights up village as sports day marks 100 years
- 5 Police officer dismissed for breaching bail conditions
- 6 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 7 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 8 Man repeatedly stabbed nine-year-old boy in 'random attack'
- 9 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 10 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
“Those achievements are all down to the players who deserve all the credit. I can’t praise them enough for their efforts throughout the season and I know they can go far as a group.
“I look forward to being able to see them grow and become even better next season, hopefully in the Premier Division, before I head off into the Navy.”