LOCAL FOOTBALL: Flintoft signs off as Whittlesey Athletic Reserves boss with big win - but promotion is out of their hands
- Credit: Archant
Whittlesey Athletic Reserves face a nervous wait to find out if they have clinched promotion to the PDFL Premier Division.
Max Flintoft’s men jumped into third place – the final promotion spot – in Division One courtesy of a 4-0 win at Glinton & Northborough on the final day, but could slip down into fourth if Sutton Bridge United beat Warboys this Saturday.
A double from Jack Flintoft and strikes from Jack Carter and Rik Hailstone gave boss Flintoft the perfect send-off as boss last Saturday, and the navy-bound manager says he couldn’t be more proud of his side’s achievements this season.
“It was great to sign off my last game with a win and give the club a glimmer of hope of getting back in the Premier Division where they belong,” he said.
“I can’t thank the club enough for their support and giving me the opportunity to manage the team for the past two seasons.
“As a young manager I have learnt so much, which I will use hopefully in management in the future.
“It’s been a great season for us; winning the Cambs Cup, fighting for promotion, going unbeaten in the league for 18 games and only losing once since October.
- 1 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 2 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 6 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 9 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 10 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
“Those achievements are all down to the players who deserve all the credit. I can’t praise them enough for their efforts throughout the season and I know they can go far as a group.
“I look forward to being able to see them grow and become even better next season, hopefully in the Premier Division, before I head off into the Navy.”