LOCAL FOOTBALL: Whittlesey Athletic Reserves boss Max Flintoft hoping to bow out in style
- Credit: Archant
Max Flintoft is hoping he can sign off his spell as Whittlesey Athetic Reserves boss by guiding the local lads to a top-three league finish.
The young manager is stepping down after tomorrow’s final match of the PDFL Division One season at Glinton & Northborough to pursue a career in the Royal Navy.
His men could clinch third spot tomorrow afternoon if they can win and the side currently sitting in third – Sutton Bridge United – lose to second-placed Warboys.
Whittlesey ensured their league position would be decided on the final day last Saturday with a 4-0 reverse over the side they take on tomorrow afternoon.
Flintoft’s men eased to victory thanks to Jack Carter’s double, which took him to 33 goals for the season, and a brace from Ricky Hailstone.
“It was a strange game which we were always in control of,” Flintoft said.
“Glinton went down to 10 men in the second half due to a lack of numbers and injuries but hats off to them - they fought to the end and never gave up.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
“We did drop the pace in the second half but our target was always the three points and that’s what was on the board at the end.
“We now have to make sure we beat them again to stand any chance of getting in the top three.
“It’s still out of our hands and we hope Warboys can do us a big favour but we just have to concentrate on our own game and pick up the three points.”