March ABC prospect Joe Steed, 16, comes out on top at the England Boxing Junior Novice Championship Finals
- Credit: Archant
Sixteen year old March ABC boxer Joe Steed became a national champion on Saturday.
The talented prospect, from Wisbech, beat Jak Corrie of Stockbridge by unanimous decision to pick up the England Boxing Junior Novice Championship Finals in Leyburn-on-Sea in Kent.
Steed showed great skill and tactical awareness in the under 66kg contest to get the better of Corrie.
March ABC trainer Dave Cole said: “It was a very good result. He had a very hard semi final against a very strong boy in a close bout but beat him.
“Being in the final was a new experience for him and he handled it very well.
You may also want to watch:
“He was up against a counter puncher in a very tactical fight so Joe had to be very patient and pick his shots. He adapted well to the style and did a good job.
“This was his main championship for the season so the next few months will be about bringing him on and helping him get a bit more experience so he’s ready for next year.”
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 Neighbours want council to call time on off-licence
- 3 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 4 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 5 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 Driver bids to drift towards fruitful career with national success
- 8 Ever get that sinking feeling?
- 9 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 10 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021