March ABC prospect Joe Steed, 16, comes out on top at the England Boxing Junior Novice Championship Finals
- Credit: Archant
Sixteen year old March ABC boxer Joe Steed became a national champion on Saturday.
The talented prospect, from Wisbech, beat Jak Corrie of Stockbridge by unanimous decision to pick up the England Boxing Junior Novice Championship Finals in Leyburn-on-Sea in Kent.
Steed showed great skill and tactical awareness in the under 66kg contest to get the better of Corrie.
March ABC trainer Dave Cole said: “It was a very good result. He had a very hard semi final against a very strong boy in a close bout but beat him.
“Being in the final was a new experience for him and he handled it very well.
You may also want to watch:
“He was up against a counter puncher in a very tactical fight so Joe had to be very patient and pick his shots. He adapted well to the style and did a good job.
“This was his main championship for the season so the next few months will be about bringing him on and helping him get a bit more experience so he’s ready for next year.”
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 6 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 10 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart