March ABC prospect Joe Steed, 16, comes out on top at the England Boxing Junior Novice Championship Finals
- Credit: Archant
Sixteen year old March ABC boxer Joe Steed became a national champion on Saturday.
The talented prospect, from Wisbech, beat Jak Corrie of Stockbridge by unanimous decision to pick up the England Boxing Junior Novice Championship Finals in Leyburn-on-Sea in Kent.
Steed showed great skill and tactical awareness in the under 66kg contest to get the better of Corrie.
March ABC trainer Dave Cole said: “It was a very good result. He had a very hard semi final against a very strong boy in a close bout but beat him.
“Being in the final was a new experience for him and he handled it very well.
You may also want to watch:
“He was up against a counter puncher in a very tactical fight so Joe had to be very patient and pick his shots. He adapted well to the style and did a good job.
“This was his main championship for the season so the next few months will be about bringing him on and helping him get a bit more experience so he’s ready for next year.”
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 3 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 4 Body found in Wisbech road
- 5 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 6 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 7 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Dogs to join hounds across the world in global walk
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens