March Amateur Boxing Club’s first female fighter makes history with winning debut
AFTER months of frustration and cancelled bouts, the first female fighter in the history of March Amateur Boxing Club has made a winning debut.
Vicky Larham made her first appearance in the ring during Essex’s Open Show at the weekend, overpowering Myra Brennan of St Peters ABC to win by a unanimous points decision.
The 25-year-old, who had three of her fights called off at the last minute in December, said she was thrilled to finally make her debut.
“I did what I’ve trained to do for the last four months and I loved every second of it,” said Larham, who is the first woman to pull on the gloves for the club since its formation in 1949.
“I was a bit more relaxed than I thought I’d be but I was still very nervous. I didn’t speak for about an hour before the fight, then I just got in the ring and concentrated on what I had to do.
You may also want to watch:
“They say good things come to those who wait and this was certainly worth waiting for. I’m really proud.”
Larham was dominant throughout and a flurry of head and body shots led to her more experienced opponent being given a standing count of eight in the second round.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 4 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 5 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 6 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 7 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Residents make most of lockdown easing as Christmas comes early
- 10 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
Bernie Wing, March ABC coach, said: “She fought very well and I’m very impressed with her progress.
“She is so easy to train because she just knuckles down and gets on with it. I have got high hopes for her.”