March Amateur Boxing Club star Smith, 12, falls three points short of ABA title
THREE points was all that prevented schoolboy boxing star Tony Smith from becoming a national champion at the weekend.
The March Amateur Boxing Club youngster lost his first career bout on Saturday in the final of the Amateur Boxing Association (ABA) Schoolboys Championship at Mansfield ABC.
Smith, 12, was beaten 21-18 by former minor champion Mark Dickinson, from Birtley ABC - ending his unbeaten run of nine consecutive bouts.
Coach Bernie Wing said: “He absolutely boxed his heart out and I thought he’d won it.
“He lost the first round by three points and that meant that he was always playing catch-up. In the last round he was fantastic and I thought he’d got there. What a bout.
“This lad kept coming at him but Tony was meeting him. He really held is own.
“He was absolutely gutted at the end. It blew him apart because he had put some much into it.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
“You couldn’t ask for any more from him and he can be very proud of himself.”
Smith will now begin preparations for the Junior ABA Championships and March ABC’s April show.