Depleted Bears fight back to earn friendly victory
- Credit: March Bears Rugby Club
A depleted squad failed to dampen March Bears after they cruised to weekend victory.
Opponents Thorney scored three tries to go 19-0 up on Saturday, before March, who were missing nine regular players, replied with a try of their own.
But first-half dominance paid for as the visitors clawed back to 19-10 having been unfazed from an earlier mistake near the posts.
That momentum continued into the second half as two tries made it 22-19 in favour of the Bears, before the hosts replied once more to retake the lead.
However, four more tries in the space of 20 minutes proved pivotal to help put March into the ascendancy towards a 44-26 victory.
It was a team mixed with experience with youth which triumphed, despite recording a 25 per cent conversion rate during the match.
March begin their Eastern Counties Division Two West campaign against St Neots 2nds at Elm Road on Saturday, October 2, 3pm.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover