March Bears finish rugby season as champions

March Bears finish rugby season as champions

March Bears finish rugby season as champions - Credit: Archant

March Bears’ last game of the season was for the Cambridgeshire RFU Junior Sportsmanship Cup against St Ives 2nd XV, which was played at Shelford RFC.

March started the game strongly, putting St Ives under pressure, several scoring opportunities were missed, as the game was being played at a frantic pace there were several passes being knocked on or dropped.

As both sides settled into their respective game plans, both sides defences were tested to the limit.

March Bears eventually broke through the St Ives defence to create the space for winger Paul Shilton to touch down in the corner unconverted.

Will Burke crossed over the try line to increase March Bears lead with another unconverted try.

St Ives responded with their young players working hard, managed to prise open March Bears Defence to score a converted try 10-7.

St Ives continued to pressure March Bears only desperate tackling managed to stop them from scoring.

Most Read

Stand-off Edward Cribb intelligent reading of the game, turning defence into attack finishing the move off will a try again unconverted to increase March Bears lead 15-7.

With half time approaching, St Ives put several phases of play together to make inroad towards March Bears try line.

The ball came loose as March Bears’ forwards worked it towards the 22 meter line to release centre Stewart Rigby who managed to score again unconverted.

March Bears went in at half time with a slender lead 20-7.

After a nervous first half, March opened the scoring with Will Burke getting his second try of the game - a penalty kicked by Aaron Boxall extended their lead 28-7.

Gareth Edwards outpaced St Ives’ defence to score, quickly followed by Stewart Rigby’s second try both unconverted 38-7.

St Ives again regrouped and good inter-play by forwards and backs scored their second converted try 38-14.

Aaron Boxall managed to plunder a try 43-5, Dan Ryan rounded off a superb individual performance to score a well deserved try.

March Bears ran out 48-14 winners, the score line probably a little bit flattering as St Ives 2nd Xv is always is a difficult game.

Barry Feetham, March Bears president, said: “Back to back league champions, Junior Sportsmanship Cup winners and after the final game ended was awarded the Cambridgeshire University and District Rugby Referees Society Whistlers Award by chairman Jon Evans. It’s a great treble to finish the season off with.

“I have been involved with March Bears for a few decades, this is a great success story, a great achievement for a small club. The most successful season I have known, especially for a club who were a few seasons ago on the brink of disbanding.

“With promotion to a higher league we are looking to increase our squad for next season, if you would like to play rugby and represent your town we train Wednesday evenings at the Elm Road Sports Field.”

March Bears’ presentation evening is on June 23.