Rugby: March Bears get better of Ely rivals
- Credit: Archant
March Bears ran out 40-19 winners over Ely seconds in their recent meeting.
A strong crosswind gave them an advantage in the first half and a kick from their own 22 was gathered by Coetzer to race under the posts.
Porter added the conversion, but Ely hit back with an unconverted try, before Hickes touched down in the corner to make it 12-5 at half time.
Ely scored a second try after the restart, but March replied with a converted try from Conway.
Coetzer touched down again after good team play, with Porter converting, and man of the match Ryan added another well-taken try, converted from out wide by Porter.
You may also want to watch:
It was the first of three tries in the last four minutes of the match, as Ely touched down again for their third score, before captain Bates went under the posts.
It completed a good day's work for March in difficult conditions.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school