March Bears put in ‘best performance of the season’ in 36-0 loss
MARCH Bears’ coach Richard Horne has praised his battling side’s “best performance of the season” after they were defeated 36-0 by the high-flying Renegades on Saturday.
A depleted side meant the fixture was a huge challenge for the Bears, who put in a stubborn defensive display against visitors who have been in imperious form this season in the X.X. Super Deuxieme Nord Merit League.
“It was the best game they have played,” said Horne, whose side had beaten Ely Thirds 62-0 the week before.
“We are going in the right direction. This is a development season and we are trying to be a coaching beacon to get the player numbers up as part of the three year plan.
“We have stopped talking about the score - we are only talking about the quality of the performance.”
You may also want to watch:
After seeing an early 40-yard penalty attempt come back off the post, March were forced into long periods of determined tackling to keep the visitors at bay.
But it was a defensive error that eventually led to the first try and this was followed by a second score from a strong scrum, propelling the Renegades into a 15-0 lead at the break.
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 5 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 6 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 7 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 8 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 9 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 10 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
The visitors went on to dominate the second half, using their big forwards to control the game and run in three more converted tries.
The Bears are looking for more players, especially prop forwards, and training takes place at the Elm Road Sports Field on a Thursday evening at 6:45.