March Bears through to semi finals after Ely win
- Credit: Archant
March Bears are through to the semi finals of the Greene King Premier Merit Cup after a hard-fought 23-5 win at Ely Development on Saturday.
The Bears went ahead after 10 minutes through flanker Jonathan Beavis, who picked up a loose ball from a scrum and touched down in the corner.
The conversion was missed but Beavis then slotted over a penalty to give the Bears a 8-0 lead.
Ely pulled a try back to make the score 8-5 but Mark Arnold’s powerful try increased the Bears lead to 13-5 just before half time.
March withstood a Ely barrage after the break and went 11 points clear through a Beavis penalty.
The hosts raised their tempo and only outsanding tackles from Stewart Rigby, Jamie Kerse and Kris Howie stopped Ely from crossing the line.
The Bears completed the scoring through Stewart Rigby, who picked up a lose ball never his own try line and sprinted 90 yards to score - Ben Brooke added the conversion.
- 1 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 6 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 7 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 8 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 9 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 10 ‘It’s been a very special day’ - Mary marks 100th birthday
Skipper Rob Woollard said: “I was very proud off all my players performance. The grit and determination they showed not to fold under intense pressure was outstanding.
“I was impressed by new player Toby Nutly, who gave a positive performance and will be a good asset to the team.
“Two players that were also outstanding and share man of the match are Jamie Kerse and Chris Howie for their tireless work rate, tackling and commitment”
The Bears will play either Newmarket Development or Shelford IV away in the semi-final on March 22 2014.
They next host Ely Development in the Greene King Merit league tomorrow at 2pm.