Bears triumph over Tigers in entertaining local derby
- Credit: March Bears Rugby Club
March Bears put in a performance to be proud of as they prevailed over local rivals in Eastern Counties Division Two West.
After Ely Tigers' Development side suffered an injury setback inside five minutes, March capitalised when Adam Munro crossed to take a 7-0 lead at Elm Road.
Lee Kupyn was soon sin-binned for a high tackle, but this didn’t faze the Bears as Dan Ryan’s diagonal cross-field run ended with a try.
Kupyn then made amends with a try of his own, and was close to scoring again soon before half-time.
Ely replied with a 47th-minute try, before Scott Conway showed individual skill and power to extend March’s lead to 24-5.
Munro pounced on a kick seven minutes later to cross over, with the try converted.
Ely did salvage a consolation when they were awarded a penalty try underneath the posts when March were adjudged to have twice deliberately taken the scrum down near their own line.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 3 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 9 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 10 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
But that could not stop the Bears from recording a 31-12 victory.