Battling Bears record hard-fought opening day win
- Credit: March Bears Rugby Club
March Bears kicked off their Eastern Counties Division Two West season with a hard-fought 17-7 win on Saturday.
Bears fielded a strong squad for the visit of St Neots 2nds to Elm Road, and the hosts’ expansive game was hampered by poor weather in the first half.
But after opening the scoring after a run-in from 60 metres, March then continued to dominate the scrum.
It was St Neots, though, who levelled on 37 minutes after being awarded a five-metre penalty which they scored, before converting afterwards.
March drove the opposition further down the pitch and one of these mauls was pulled down illegally by St Neots.
This was pounced upon by the Bears, who after scoring the resulting penalty, went on to control proceedings.
The match ball was presented by main shirt sponsor John Savage of Savage Haulage Ltd and the club would like to thank supporters who turned out to watch.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
March visit Wisbech 2nds in a league clash on October 16, 3pm.