March Bears win hastily-arranged derby friendly against Ely
IT was third time lucky for March Bears on Saturday as they overcame a series of postponements to enjoy an afternoon of rugby.
Both March Bears and Ely Development’s X.X. Super Deuxieme Nord Merit league matches were postponed so the clubs hastily-arranged a friendly.
However, both sides’ bad luck continued when they were left without a referee - who was caught in traffic.
Bears president Barry Feetham said: “The players just wanted a game of rugby. Ely had raced over to play so we were all thankful to James Pepper.
“He gave up his chance to play for us to referee his first senior game as a qualified ref.”
You may also want to watch:
Matty Day’s try and penalty saw the Bears take an 8-0 lead into the break before Jamie Kerse and Ben Saxby ran in scores of their own. Both tries were converted by Day.
Ely ran in a late consolation to give the final 22-5 scoreline a hint of respectability.
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 6 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit