March carpenter Jim Wadlow produces grandstand finish to pick up win and boxer of the night at Cambridge Roar show
- Credit: Archant
Jim Wadlow thrilled his army of fans on Saturday with a dramatic win in his first ever bout ... and was then named boxer of the night.
The 37 year-old carpenter was pushed all the way by another debutant, Joe Daley, at the Cambridge Roar white collar boxing charity show in aid of Arthur Rank Hospice and Prince’s Trust in Stoke-Cum-Quay.
Daley had the better of the first round but Wadlow regrouped and his fitness made the difference as he produced a sparkling final round to win the bout 30-29.
The result was greeted by thundering cheers by more than 60 family and friends who made the trip down from March to support their man.
Wadlow said: “I was in the back and I could hear everybody singing away. I’m glad it’s over but I’m really pleased with the result.
You may also want to watch:
“It was hard. He came out hard early, I knew he would, and he caught me early in the first round.
“When you are in there, everything you learn goes by the wayside. I knew I was fitter than him and I managed to get in some good shots at the end.”
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 3 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 9 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
Any chance this would be his only bout has been taken out of his hands - the winner of the best boxer bout is expected to defend his belt at the following year’s show, and Wadlow is not someone to shirk the challenge.
He said: “You’ve got to defend it so I’ll be doing it again.”