March cricket and hockey clubs joining forces for Talents and Favours night tomorrow with great items up for grabs
- Credit: Archant
A town’s cricket club and hockey club are teaming up for an auction to raise funds to improve facilities.
March Town Cricket Club already has planning permission for new double bay cricket nets - they just need to pull together the funds to pay for them.
A grant application has been submitted, which will be decided on in the next few months. In the mean time, the club is attempting to raise its share for the project.
At the same time, March Town Hockey Club needs to raise money so they can put on more coaching for juniors and provide them with equipment.
The first joint fundraising event is a Talents and Favours evening in the cricket club’s pavilion tomorrow. New club captain Jody Betts is taking on the role as auctioneer.
You may also want to watch:
The event has been well supported by many members from both sections and business contacts who have donated more than 40 items to go under the hammer.
Amongst the lots are two tickets for an Ashes Test match at Trent Bridge, a 45 minute private plane trip over the Norfolk coast, a weekend for two in a lodge cabin, a full/half day photography experience, a free will and a cricket ball signed by Darren Gough.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 5 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 6 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 10 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
Prior to the auction, the evening will begin with a Twenty/20 game between the cricket club and the hockey club, 6pm start.
Cricket club secretary Stephen Wallis said: “We are looking to raise money towards our major capital project of 2015, new double bay cricket nets.
“We already have planning permission for the facility and currently have a grant application awaiting a decision in the next few months.
“Double bay nets will significantly improve the coaching facilities available to all club members, which will help to develop the young players of the future.
“The hockey club are raising funds for the provision of more coaching facilities, concentrating on the junior section along with equipment to encourage juniors who are wishing to take the sport up for the first time.”
The auction should start at about 8.30pm. Anyone who would like more information about the Talents and Favours evening should contact either Les Mills (01354 656698 and 07813 250466), Stephen Wallis (01354 656590 and 07917 191177) or Jody Betts (07917 775071).