March Cricket Club get first outing of the season
- Credit: Archant
MARCH Cricket Club’s first game of the season was brought to a premature end by the rain.
They welcomed Downham Town CC, who beat neighbours Wisbech CC in the previous game, to The Avenue for an annual friendly fixture.
The visitors batted first and made an imposing 231-2 from 45 overs.
Two of their top four retired once they had reached their half-centuries.
Second team regulars Andy Wright and Richard Green both produced economic nine over stints, with seamer Wright taking 1-30 and off-spinner Green 0-30.
The only other wicket to fall was again from a second string player - leg-spinner Nathan Oliver, who returned figures of 1-25.
March’s reply started solidly, with Tommy Howgego (38no) and Tyler Phillips (17no) taking the score to 60 without loss after 16 overs.
- 1 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 2 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 3 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 4 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 7 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 8 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 9 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 10 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
But the rain came and prevented what would have been an enthralling run chase.
March kick off their Tucker League campaign on Saturday at home to Camden CC, with a 1pm start.