March Cricket Club get first outing of the season
- Credit: Archant
MARCH Cricket Club’s first game of the season was brought to a premature end by the rain.
They welcomed Downham Town CC, who beat neighbours Wisbech CC in the previous game, to The Avenue for an annual friendly fixture.
The visitors batted first and made an imposing 231-2 from 45 overs.
Two of their top four retired once they had reached their half-centuries.
Second team regulars Andy Wright and Richard Green both produced economic nine over stints, with seamer Wright taking 1-30 and off-spinner Green 0-30.
The only other wicket to fall was again from a second string player - leg-spinner Nathan Oliver, who returned figures of 1-25.
March’s reply started solidly, with Tommy Howgego (38no) and Tyler Phillips (17no) taking the score to 60 without loss after 16 overs.
- 1 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 9 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 10 ‘It’s been a very special day’ - Mary marks 100th birthday
But the rain came and prevented what would have been an enthralling run chase.
March kick off their Tucker League campaign on Saturday at home to Camden CC, with a 1pm start.