March Cricket Club get first outing of the season
- Credit: Archant
MARCH Cricket Club’s first game of the season was brought to a premature end by the rain.
They welcomed Downham Town CC, who beat neighbours Wisbech CC in the previous game, to The Avenue for an annual friendly fixture.
The visitors batted first and made an imposing 231-2 from 45 overs.
Two of their top four retired once they had reached their half-centuries.
Second team regulars Andy Wright and Richard Green both produced economic nine over stints, with seamer Wright taking 1-30 and off-spinner Green 0-30.
You may also want to watch:
The only other wicket to fall was again from a second string player - leg-spinner Nathan Oliver, who returned figures of 1-25.
March’s reply started solidly, with Tommy Howgego (38no) and Tyler Phillips (17no) taking the score to 60 without loss after 16 overs.
- 1 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 8 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 9 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 10 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
But the rain came and prevented what would have been an enthralling run chase.
March kick off their Tucker League campaign on Saturday at home to Camden CC, with a 1pm start.