March cricket players beat Sawston by one wicket
- Credit: Archant
March 1st Xl v Sawston A last ball win changed the mood at The Avenue on Saturday, as the 1st XI beat visitors Sawston by one wicket in yet another Whitings League Division 1 thriller.
With the scores level, Sam Clarke smashed the ball down the ground for the winner - March having needed eight runs from the final six balls.
Sawston had earlier recovered from 31-3 to post an impressive 242 all out. Andy Wright picked up 3-51, with skipper Tyler Phillips one of three bowlers to bag a brace.
A third wicket stand of 96 was just the tonic March needed after tea, as Saranga Rajaguru hit his top score in the league of 70 and Shardul Brahmbhatt cracked 44 on his return to the side.
With the nerves jangling and the overs running out, two of the youngest players in the team produced a vital 38 runs for the eighth wicket. Ben Chapman scored 23 and Curtis Oldroyd 21 in match-winning cameo roles, to end a run of three defeats.
You may also want to watch:
Sawston 242 all out, 50 overs (Andy Wright 3-51, Tyler Phillips 2-30, Shardul Brahmbhatt 2-47, Saranga Rajaguru 2-47), March 1st XI 243-9, 50 overs (Saranga Rajaguru 70, Shardul Brahmbhatt 44, Ben Chapman 23, Curtis Oldroyd 21, James Hilliard 20).
Man of the Match: Saranga Rajaguru
- 1 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
Skipper’s verdict: Whew! Finally we’ve won one of these tight one wicket finishes.