March cricket players beat Sawston by one wicket
- Credit: Archant
March 1st Xl v Sawston A last ball win changed the mood at The Avenue on Saturday, as the 1st XI beat visitors Sawston by one wicket in yet another Whitings League Division 1 thriller.
With the scores level, Sam Clarke smashed the ball down the ground for the winner - March having needed eight runs from the final six balls.
Sawston had earlier recovered from 31-3 to post an impressive 242 all out. Andy Wright picked up 3-51, with skipper Tyler Phillips one of three bowlers to bag a brace.
A third wicket stand of 96 was just the tonic March needed after tea, as Saranga Rajaguru hit his top score in the league of 70 and Shardul Brahmbhatt cracked 44 on his return to the side.
With the nerves jangling and the overs running out, two of the youngest players in the team produced a vital 38 runs for the eighth wicket. Ben Chapman scored 23 and Curtis Oldroyd 21 in match-winning cameo roles, to end a run of three defeats.
Sawston 242 all out, 50 overs (Andy Wright 3-51, Tyler Phillips 2-30, Shardul Brahmbhatt 2-47, Saranga Rajaguru 2-47), March 1st XI 243-9, 50 overs (Saranga Rajaguru 70, Shardul Brahmbhatt 44, Ben Chapman 23, Curtis Oldroyd 21, James Hilliard 20).
Man of the Match: Saranga Rajaguru
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 5 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 6 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 7 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
Skipper’s verdict: Whew! Finally we’ve won one of these tight one wicket finishes.