CRICKET: March Town Cricket Club win historic Kirkland Cup final against Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
March Town Cricket Club scooped first prize at the Kirkland Cup after they beat Chatteris Cricket Club at a tense final on Monday, July 30.
It was the first year that the March team played in the historic cup and they beat Witcham and Welney before beating Chatteris by 17 runs at the final.
A spokesman said: “March batted first and scored 133 for two off their 15 x six ball overs. In reply Chatteris reached 116 for three off their 15 x six ball overs.
“The highest scorer was Adam Conyard 50 not out who received good support from Saranga Rajaguru 37.
“Man of the match Matt Hollis top scored with a superb 65 but was out in the penultimate over. Ben Hollis added support with 29 not out.”
You may also want to watch:
The Kirkland Cup competition is for cricket clubs in the old Isle of Ely area and was first played for in 1938 when it was won by Common Acre CC.
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 3 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 4 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 5 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 6 30 firefighters tackle A14 lorry blaze
- 7 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 8 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 9 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 10 Best is yet to come for March Town after successive league defeats