CRICKET: March Town Cricket Club win historic Kirkland Cup final against Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
March Town Cricket Club scooped first prize at the Kirkland Cup after they beat Chatteris Cricket Club at a tense final on Monday, July 30.
It was the first year that the March team played in the historic cup and they beat Witcham and Welney before beating Chatteris by 17 runs at the final.
A spokesman said: “March batted first and scored 133 for two off their 15 x six ball overs. In reply Chatteris reached 116 for three off their 15 x six ball overs.
“The highest scorer was Adam Conyard 50 not out who received good support from Saranga Rajaguru 37.
“Man of the match Matt Hollis top scored with a superb 65 but was out in the penultimate over. Ben Hollis added support with 29 not out.”
The Kirkland Cup competition is for cricket clubs in the old Isle of Ely area and was first played for in 1938 when it was won by Common Acre CC.
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 4 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge