March dodgeball star Stephenson helps England beat Ireland on international debut
MARCH dodgeball star Emily Stephenson made a winning international debut on Sunday as England breezed to victory against Ireland.
Stephenson, 19, was called up to represent the country’s first women’s dodgeball team after impressing for her University of Bedfordshire side.
She helped England to a 5-1 and 9-0 victory in Belfast before watching her male counterparts life the Home Nations Cup.
She said: “It was an amazing feeling to pull on the England shirt but the whole experience was quite surreal.
“I was pleased with my performance - especially when there were two of us left in an important game and we made a double catch to put us 4-2 up.”
You may also want to watch:
The 19-year-old will represent England again in September’s European Championships in Sweden.
Stephenson said: “The men played an actual tournament, rather than a three-match series, and it made us all quite envious.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 NHS doctor ‘banned from describing himself as ‘Dr’ on ballot paper’
- 6 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 7 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 8 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 9 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 10 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
“It gave us a glimpse of what women’s dodgeball could become.”