March dodgeball star Stephenson helps England beat Ireland on international debut
MARCH dodgeball star Emily Stephenson made a winning international debut on Sunday as England breezed to victory against Ireland.
Stephenson, 19, was called up to represent the country’s first women’s dodgeball team after impressing for her University of Bedfordshire side.
She helped England to a 5-1 and 9-0 victory in Belfast before watching her male counterparts life the Home Nations Cup.
She said: “It was an amazing feeling to pull on the England shirt but the whole experience was quite surreal.
“I was pleased with my performance - especially when there were two of us left in an important game and we made a double catch to put us 4-2 up.”
You may also want to watch:
The 19-year-old will represent England again in September’s European Championships in Sweden.
Stephenson said: “The men played an actual tournament, rather than a three-match series, and it made us all quite envious.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 Neighbours want council to call time on off-licence
- 3 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 4 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 5 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 Driver bids to drift towards fruitful career with national success
- 8 Ever get that sinking feeling?
- 9 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 10 Animal firm 'left behind' in bid to stay afloat during pandemic
“It gave us a glimpse of what women’s dodgeball could become.”