March dodgeball star Stephenson helps England beat Ireland on international debut
MARCH dodgeball star Emily Stephenson made a winning international debut on Sunday as England breezed to victory against Ireland.
Stephenson, 19, was called up to represent the country’s first women’s dodgeball team after impressing for her University of Bedfordshire side.
She helped England to a 5-1 and 9-0 victory in Belfast before watching her male counterparts life the Home Nations Cup.
She said: “It was an amazing feeling to pull on the England shirt but the whole experience was quite surreal.
“I was pleased with my performance - especially when there were two of us left in an important game and we made a double catch to put us 4-2 up.”
The 19-year-old will represent England again in September’s European Championships in Sweden.
Stephenson said: “The men played an actual tournament, rather than a three-match series, and it made us all quite envious.
- 1 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 5 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Could you give these pets a home?
“It gave us a glimpse of what women’s dodgeball could become.”