March golfer gets third hole in one
- Credit: Archant
TO get one hole in one is any golfers dream, but a March golfer has achieved the feat for the third time.
Tony Smith, 79, who has been a member of March Golf Club for 44 years, managed it again at the 145 yard 2nd hole while playing in the Papworth Hospital Cup.
Smith got his first hole-in-one in 1979 on the 9th hole and his second in 1995 on the 6th hole.
He said: “As a golfer you know when you have hit a good shot or a bad one. For my last hole in one I hit the ball along the ground and it scuttled into the hole so I was not too proud of it.
“But this one was a really good shot. There was a strong wind from the left and I hit it pretty well with my hybrid club.
You may also want to watch:
“When the ball dropped in the hole my three playing partners were as excited as I was. It was a bit special.”
The celebrations continued when Smith returned to the clubhouse following his round.
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 6 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 7 Man who died in road crash is named
- 8 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
He said: “There must have been 60 people in the clubhouse and I bought a drink for everyone of them. It cost me £75.
“After playing for as long as I have you can run out of ambitions but I’ve always wanted to get my third hole in one at the club. Who knows? One day there may be a fourth.”
Smith qualified for the H1Club, an exclusive organisation for golfers who have scored a hole-in-one.
He was presented with a special edition H1Club watch from BOSS watches by competition organiser Les Bridgeford.