March runner, 74, secures podium finish in Cyprus half marathon
- Credit: Archant
A 74-YEAR-OLD March AC Running Club stalwart was one of more than 600 runners from 32 countries who braved the intense heat to compete in the Cyprus half marathon on Saturday.
Pat Brown, who has been at the club for 35 years and is its oldest competing athlete, completed the course in 2 hours and 26 minutes, earning him an impressive 3rd place finish in the Over 70s category.
He said: “All my competitors have fallen by the wayside. I put my success down to fast living and alcohol.”
Mr Brown is thrilled he made the journey to Cyprus to take part in the race and has encouraged others to follow his lead.
He said: “I run for pleasure. My friends told me what a wonderful race it is and from experiencing it first hand I can say it is a wonderful international event with people of all ages running, including people in their 80s.
You may also want to watch:
“I like to think I’ve proven that if you want to do something age is no barrier.”
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit