March runner, 74, secures podium finish in Cyprus half marathon
- Credit: Archant
A 74-YEAR-OLD March AC Running Club stalwart was one of more than 600 runners from 32 countries who braved the intense heat to compete in the Cyprus half marathon on Saturday.
Pat Brown, who has been at the club for 35 years and is its oldest competing athlete, completed the course in 2 hours and 26 minutes, earning him an impressive 3rd place finish in the Over 70s category.
He said: “All my competitors have fallen by the wayside. I put my success down to fast living and alcohol.”
Mr Brown is thrilled he made the journey to Cyprus to take part in the race and has encouraged others to follow his lead.
He said: “I run for pleasure. My friends told me what a wonderful race it is and from experiencing it first hand I can say it is a wonderful international event with people of all ages running, including people in their 80s.
You may also want to watch:
“I like to think I’ve proven that if you want to do something age is no barrier.”
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 8 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 9 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 10 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now