March Sparta ABC boxer Reece Oldfield, 15, wins ABA national championship
- Credit: Archant
Sparta ABC prospect Reece Oldfield has become a national champion.
After a gruelling weekend’s boxing in Sheffield, the 15 year-old Neale-Wade student clinched the English Schoolboys Amateur Boxing Association title at 40kg.
Oldfield took on undefeated Luke Riley, of Gemini ABC, in the semi final on Saturday.
After a slow start, Oldfield grew in confidence. In the second round, he caught Riley with a beautiful right hand.
Oldfield dug deep in the final round, drawing on all his resources, to edge out Riley and pick up a split decision win.
You may also want to watch:
The youngster was driven back to March then make the trip back up to Sheffield for yesterday’s final. Between him and glory stood Danny Quinn, of Intense ABC.
Oldfield handled the pressure of the final superbly, producing his best when it mattered the most.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
From the first bell, he was instantly at home, landing good shots and nice combinations.
He kept the momentum going into the second round, forcing Quinn on to the ropes.
The final round was the most impressive of the lot. Oldfield was relentless, launching attack after attack. His efforts were recognised by the judges, who awarded him an unanimous decision win.
Oldfield said: “I was excited but nervous before the weekend because I had never got to this stage before.
“When the final ended, I thought I have to have won - I could not have done anything more.
“When I was announced as the winner, it was just the best feeling. I went over to my coach and he lifted me aloft.
“I’m over the moon, it’s a dream come true.”
Proud father Gary, who is secretary at Sparta ABC, said: “What Reece has done is amazing. We’re a small club and have only been going for three years.”
Coach Matt Lenton added: “We’re so proud of Reece. What he’s achieved is brilliant for the club. Hopefully we can now look forward to another great season.”