March Town 0-2 Ely City: Sewell and Simpson star as the Robins see off the Hares to boost promotion hopes
- Credit: Archant
Goals from Josh Sewell and Matty Simpson helped Ely City claim the bragging rights in the Fenland derby in a wet and windy bank holiday encounter with March Town.
The Robins travelled to a rain-soaked GER yesterday afternoon looking to extend their unbeaten Thurlow Nunn Division run to seven games, and faced a determined Hares side who had embarked on a three-match unbeaten run themselves after a torrid run of form.
The visitors raced out the blocks, and only had to wait eight minutes to take the lead, when stand-in captain Josh Sewell rose to head home a Jamie Alsop centre after a quickly-taken free kick.
The Robins have become known in the Thurlow Nunn Division One for their fast-paced starts, and soon found themselves two goals to the good when Matty Simpson was allowed to bring the ball down and prod past Dave Beeny in the March goal.
A third Ely goal was chalked off for offside before Nathan Littlefair rattled the crossbar with a powerful header as Ely went into the half time break in the ascendancy.
You may also want to watch:
March looked for a way back into the game in the second half, but the visitors looked dangerous on the break and went close to adding a third goal when Sewell hit the woodwork with a drive from the edge of the box.
The Hares front two of Ondre Odain and Dan Woods looked for a chance to reduce the deficit, but were shut out by a dogged Robins defence who kept their second consecutive away clean sheet.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 6 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 7 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
Chris Bartlett’s March side will look to bounce back from their first league defeat since their 3-1 loss to Braintree Reserves in their clash with lowly Team Bury on Saturday, while Ely City, who are now only a win away from second-placed Great Yarmouth Town, will set out to make it eight wins in a row against Woodbridge Town.