March Town 2-0 Team Bury: debut delight for Rob Conyard as 16-year-old striker opens his Hares account
- Credit: Archant
16-year-old Rob Conyard netted his first senior March Town goal as the Hares ran out comfortable 2-0 winners over Thurlow Nunn Division One strugglers Team Bury.
The Hares were taking on the Suffolk side for the second time in a week, and handed debuts to Jim Smith, Harry Moran and Conyard as they looked to bounce back from a 2-0 loss to promotion hopefuls Ely City on Easter Monday.
The Hares began brightly, and registered their first shot on goal in the fourth minute through Matt Barber’s 20 yard drive.
Barber then tested Bury’s Ben Mills with another strike after a fine solo run, and Ondre Odain then came close to giving March the lead when his header was cleared off the line after 23 minutes.
The Hares thought they’d finally taken the lead after half an hour, when Barber crashed a shot off the underside of the bar from distance.
You may also want to watch:
March’s players argued that the ball had crossed the line, but referee Paul Stearman was unmoved, and the two teams went in at half time level.
The Hares only had to wait three minutes to take the lead in the second half, when Conyard latched onto an Odain flick and finished coolly under Mills to notch his first senior goal.
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 8 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
Conyard - one of four 16-year-olds in March’s squad for the visit of Bury - has impressed for the Hares’ youth set-up this season, and has had four trials at Premier League leaders Leicester City.
March doubled their lead soon after through man-of-the-match Josh Jackman, who struck his fifth goal of the season.
The Hares now have three wins from their last four league encounters, and will look to make it four from five when they travel to take on AFC Sudbury Reserves on Saturday afternoon.