March Town 2-0 Team Bury: debut delight for Rob Conyard as 16-year-old striker opens his Hares account
- Credit: Archant
16-year-old Rob Conyard netted his first senior March Town goal as the Hares ran out comfortable 2-0 winners over Thurlow Nunn Division One strugglers Team Bury.
The Hares were taking on the Suffolk side for the second time in a week, and handed debuts to Jim Smith, Harry Moran and Conyard as they looked to bounce back from a 2-0 loss to promotion hopefuls Ely City on Easter Monday.
The Hares began brightly, and registered their first shot on goal in the fourth minute through Matt Barber’s 20 yard drive.
Barber then tested Bury’s Ben Mills with another strike after a fine solo run, and Ondre Odain then came close to giving March the lead when his header was cleared off the line after 23 minutes.
The Hares thought they’d finally taken the lead after half an hour, when Barber crashed a shot off the underside of the bar from distance.
March’s players argued that the ball had crossed the line, but referee Paul Stearman was unmoved, and the two teams went in at half time level.
The Hares only had to wait three minutes to take the lead in the second half, when Conyard latched onto an Odain flick and finished coolly under Mills to notch his first senior goal.
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 3 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
Conyard - one of four 16-year-olds in March’s squad for the visit of Bury - has impressed for the Hares’ youth set-up this season, and has had four trials at Premier League leaders Leicester City.
March doubled their lead soon after through man-of-the-match Josh Jackman, who struck his fifth goal of the season.
The Hares now have three wins from their last four league encounters, and will look to make it four from five when they travel to take on AFC Sudbury Reserves on Saturday afternoon.