March Town 3-0 Wisbech Town: Luke Pepper at the double as Hares experience derby delight
- Credit: Archant
March Town claimed the local bragging rights - and the BKD Cup - with a superb 3-0 victory over higher-level Wisbech Town on Saturday.
The two Fen sides met at the GER ground for their annual pre-season encounter and the Hares stormed to an impressive win courtesy of a brace from Luke Pepper and a strike from new recruit, Kevin Holt.
In a performance that will have frustrated Fenmen boss Dick Creasey, Wisbech never got going in the first half and were duly punished when Pepper fired home after a centre from midfielder Matt Cox.
The hosts doubled their lead soon after when Pepper nodded in Jordan Fiddes’ cross, and March went into the break with a deserved two-goal lead.
The dominant home side found a third and final goal midway through the second period when summer signing Holt, up from defence, nipped in to nod the ball into the net after a searching ball from Matt Barber.
You may also want to watch:
The BKD Cup - a competition started in memory of former March youth players Karl Munton, Ben Whiteway and Daniel Runacres who were tragically killed in a car accident in 2003 - was then presented by March secretary Ray Bennett and Karl Munton’s sister, Sam.
March will hope their rich vein of form can continue when they take on Wisbech St Mary in their opening Thurlow Nunn Division One fixture tomorrow night, while Wisbech will look to bounce back in their FA Cup Extra Preliminary clash with Boston Town on Saturday.
- 1 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 2 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 3 Cat saved from 15ft deep drain by firefighters in two-hour rescue
- 4 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 5 Police issue advice as man knocks on doors offering to go shopping
- 6 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary
- 7 Christine prepares to brave the shave for cancer-battling sister
- 8 Cafe boss throws hat in the ring for county election
- 9 Twice weekly Covid testing launched to find the one in three people who don't know they have the virus
- 10 Youngster, 12, makes bold move in bid for go-karting glory