Hares battle until the end in county cup defeat
- Credit: Steve Hone
March Town Ladies could not be faulted for their efforts against higher-league opponents as they exited the Cambs Invitation Cup.
Gary Davis’ side were missing key players in their 5-0 home defeat to Newmarket Town Ladies on Sunday.
But the Hares were unlucky not to take the lead through Abby Grist in the first half against a team from the Eastern Region Women’s Football League.
Player of the match Peggy Thurlby made impressive saves throughout the cup tie, but could not stop Newmarket from taking the lead from a corner.
The visitors, who scored again just before half-time, notched another soon after the break which then led to March’s best spell of the match.
Grist again went close before Lexi Waters’ free-kick was denied by the goalkeeper, but Newmarket then scored twice more to seal a semi-final tie with Park Ladies.
Davis said: “It was a great performance against a classy team and we have learnt a lot from the game.”
March travel to Histon Ladies in Division One of the Cambridgeshire Women’s County League on Sunday, 2pm.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Happy Hares boss confident more progress is yet to come
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 8 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 9 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series