March Town Cricket Club awards night
- Credit: Archant
Saranga Rajaguru was named the Saturday 1st XI’s payer of the year, having been presented with his tankard by club captain Tyler Phillips, before recently returning to Sri Lanka.
The top all-rounder in the Whitings League finished with 51 wickets and 691 runs, which included a glorious 138 in the victory away to Ramsey.
Chairman of the Whitings League, Keith Coburn presented the rest of the silverware at the club’s annual awards night on Friday.
Batsman/wicketkeeper Ben Chapman picked up the Sunday 1st XI award for his exploits that helped the side gain promotion to Rutland League Division 1 on the final day of the season.
A special award from club chairman Les Mills, who was congratulated on his recent NatWest OSCAs award, went to Will Curtis.
He made the difference against Ufford Park with career best figures of 7-24, followed by an unbeaten 33.
Opening batsman Nathan Oliver was the Saturday 2nd XI player of the year, as his side gained promotion to CCA Senior League Division 1 and vice-captain Shae Pooley was the Sunday 2nd XI’s award winner as they won the Fenland Invitation Trophy.
- 1 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 5 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 9 Could you give these pets a home?
- 10 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
Other tankards went to: 3rd XI Player of the year, James Mortlock; 4th XI player of the year, Dave Pomfrett; young player of the year, Sam Clarke; most improved player of the year, Adam Conyard and club person of the year, Martyn Wilkinson.
A shield was also presented to Under 19s T20 captain Sam Clarke, on behalf of the side that reached the Vitality Eastern Region Final at Bedford CC on August Bank Holiday Monday.