March Town extend winning streak but have Tucker Gaedner leaders Godmanchester Town next
- Credit: Archant
March Town nudged ahead of champions Wisbech Town in the Tucker Gardner Premier League with an excellent win against Foxton & Babraham – their third win on the spin this season.
Considering the team hadn’t won a game since July last year three weeks ago, this upturn in form has the team buzzing ahead of their match against the leaders Godmanchester Town on Saturday.
“Saturday will be a tough game,” said the March captain Chris Ringham. “Goddy beat us quite convincingly last season so that will motivate us to do well.
“If we can keep improving our performances, like we have done over the last few weeks, it should be a good game.”
Steve Seymour took three of Foxton’s wickets as the home side reached 200 for seven – and then hit 76 in a brilliant reply with David Hodson (36) and Stephen Shaw (32) also doing their bit for 202 for three.
You may also want to watch:
Ringham said: “It was the most professional win we have enjoyed for a number of years. After losing the toss we expected the par score to be 230 or 240 but everyone bowled and fielded well to keep the score down to 200.
“We learnt that every run is precious in the win against Sawston and that helped us produce the best fielding display of the season.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 6 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 10 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
“Steve Seymour continued his good form but in contrast to the previous week, three other batsmen contributed good scores.
“To chase down 200, losing only three wickets and having 16 overs to spare, was a massive achievement.”
Godmanchester went top of the Premier One table with a good win over Wisbech Town, knocking Waresley off the top for the first time since the start of the season.
Five games into the year, the league remains wide open, but Godmanchester are certainly one of the strongest teams with bowler Kiran Adhav in fine form and the captain Matt Pateman shaping a side that must be favourites for the title.
Godmanchester are on 99 points with Sawston in second on the same total. March are fifth on 72 with all three of their wins coming after bowling first.