Hares shine in soaring heat to raise charity cash
- Credit: Steve Hone
Soaring temperatures did not stop March Town Ladies from helping to raise charity cash in their annual cup competition.
The Hares played Brampton Ladies in the Brian Lake Memorial Cup on September 5, raising funds for Cancer Research UK amid the stifling heat.
Brampton took a seventh-minute lead with a neat chipped effort, before March were sparked into action.
Full-back Ellie Godley teed up Adele Munday for the equaliser after forcing the goalkeeper into saves, before Hares ‘keeper Peggy Thurlby stopped with her feet at the other end.
A lively start to the second half saw Eleanor McLeish set up Abby Grist, who knocked in a rebound after her initial shot was denied.
The same combination led to a third for the Hares when McLeish’s pass found the run of Grist to score from close-range.
March gave a debut to 16-year-old Cassie Houghton while Sydney Davis played her first match in 10 months.
- 1 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 2 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 6 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 9 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 10 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
Manager Gary Davis said: “The main thing was raising money and over £150 will go to charity.
“Player of the match was Tahleya Roncari, who was excellent in midfield.”