March Town men put five past Ipswich II to seal back to back promotions
- Credit: Archant
March Town sealed back to back promotions with a thrilling 5-4 win at Ipswich II on Saturday.
The visitors knew they could seal promotion from East Men’s Division 2N with one game to spare if they picked up a point or more.
They made an excellent start and soon found themselves two goals ahead - Ash Welland scoring a screamer on his reverse, then Welland fed David Hodson who slotted home. Ipswich struck twice to go into half time all square.
After the break, March quickly scored their third and fourth goals from David Haslegrave and a Jamie Impey flick. Ipswich pulled a goal back but Ben Wright deflected in a vicious strike from James Mansfield to make it 5-3.
Ipswich continued to pile on the pressure in the last 10 minutes, causing Fraser and Hodson to receive yellow cards.
You may also want to watch:
There was a late consolation from Ipswich but March’s nine men saw out the win.
Captain Matt Bamford said: “We never expected to go up again. It’s a difficult division so we were just looking to hold our own.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 3 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 7 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 8 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 9 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 10 Driver bids to drift towards fruitful career with national success
“Last year Jody Betts scored a lot of goals but this season he has been playing a lot for the seconds so we’ve been less of a one man team. Other players have stepped up and we were strengthened at Christmas when a few players joined from Wisbech.”
In Division 5NW, Charlie Boughton (3), Jack Nisbet (2), Hugh Whittome (2), Ben Sole, Toby Odlin and Jordan Hilliard scored in March II’s 10-0 rout of Alford & District II.
Carly Stevenson scored but March Town ladies lost 4-1 to St Ives II in East Women’s Division 3NW (S).