March Town Reserves 1-0 Wisbech St Mary Reserves: revenge is sweet for the Hares as Max Matless’ 94th minute header wins the North Cambs Junior Cup
- Credit: Archant
March Town Reserves clinched the North Cambs Junior Cup - and revenge over Wisbech St Mary Reserves - in dramatic style last night.
The two teams met in the final of the competition for the second consecutive season, with the Hares’ second string getting their hands on the trophy thanks to a 94th minute header from Max Matless.
A closely-fought final seemed destined for extra time, until Hares first-team skipper Matless Rose to head home an Alex Carmen corner at the death.
The Saints came within inches of equalising a minute later when a free kick struck the crossbar, but March held on to lift the cup at Wisbech Town’s Elgoods Fenland Stadium.
Hares Reserves boss Richard Lorraine was delighted with his side’s trophy win. He said: “It’s unbelievable what we’ve done tonight. I’m so, so proud of the lads.”
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech St Mary manager Gary Haime was left ruing the Saints’ missed opportunities after the final whistle, and wants his men to bounce back by securing the Cambs League NMC 1B title this weekend.
“We were the stronger side and did not capitalise on the five gilt-edged chances we created,” he said.
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 10 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
“It is a bitter pill to swallow to lose a final to such a late goal having had the opportunities to win it ourselves. We now need to move on and hopefully secure the title on Saturday.”
St Mary return to league action on Saturday against Eaton Socon Reserves, while March Town Reserves take on Buckden on the same day.