March Town United 2 - 2 Downham Town - Merryweather bags brace but visitors snatch point at death
- Credit: Archant
March Town United were made to pay for their wastefulness in front of goal as they conceded a 97th minute equaliser last night.
Luke Pepper’s stunning solo goal gave the Hares a 1-0 win over King’s Lynn Town Reserves on Saturday.
The Hares were hoping to make it two home wins in a row against Downham Town. They got the perfect start - Liam Merryweather put them in front against Downham Town in the second minute.
The visitors levelled on the half hour but, two minutes into the second half, Merryweather restored the hosts lead.
The Hares should have put the game to bed but couldn’t get the decisive third goal. Six and a half minutes into injury time, Downham nicked a point from a corner.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Chris Bartlett said: “We dominated the game, especially the second half, but we didn’t take our chances.
“We had 15 opportunities. When you are only one goal up, you are always at risk. It’s very frustrating.”
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 3 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 4 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 5 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 6 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 7 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 £1.5 million food store creates 12 jobs
- 10 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
March will once again be without key players Dan Woods and Lewis McManus at Team Bury on Monday.
Bartlett said it is up to the other players to step up and become more clinical in front of goal.
He said: “Since Dan Woods and Denny Escorcio have not been involved, we’ve lost a bit of edge up front. We need to make sure we become more ruthless.”