March Town United begin new era with prospect of TWO Wisbech Town derbies
MARCH Town United begin an exciting new era with the prospect of facing fierce rivals Wisbech Town twice in as many months.
The Hares - who start life under Brett Whaley with a home friendly against Blackstones tomorrow - will host the Fenmen on Tuesday night in a tantalising pre-season derby.
However, the Ridgeons First Division outfit could face Steve Appleby’s side again in a mouth-watering FA Cup Preliminary Round derby on September 3 - but only if both teams can get past their extra preliminary round opponents.
Wisbech host Halstead Town while March host higher-league opposition, premier division side Kirkley & Pakefield, on August 20 for a chance to set up the biggest Fenland derby in decades.
The match would once again pit ‘keeper Lea Jordan and former Wisbech Town Reserve captain Lewis Cook - who joined March last week - against their former team-mates.
You may also want to watch:
Whaley said of Cook, a versatile defender who can play in midfield: “He’s so hungry and that’s what got me about him instantly.
“He’s got a lot of ability to play at this level and for whatever reason he hasn’t had the opportunity to do so. He’s desperate to play Ridgeons League football and I’ve been really impressed with his fitness and attitude.”
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 6 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 7 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
Cook joins a host of names who have put pen to paper, including March stalwarts Luke Pepper and Ash Brand, ahead of the club’s first league game on August 13.
Elsewhere, in a week of tough cup draws for the club, March travel to Ridgeons Premier Division outfit Mildenhall Town in the first qualifying round for the FA Vase on September 10.
Their reward for victory would be a daunting trip to Ridgeons Premier Division new-boys Gorleston on September 24.
• Tomorrow’s friendly kicks-off at 3pm with Tuesday’s derby starting at 7.45pm.