March Town United boss Whaley hails side’s ‘patient’ display as Hares go top
HIGH-FLYING March Town United’s progress under Brett Whaley reached new heights on Saturday when they moved to the top of the Ridgeons First Division.
A penalty from captain Luke Pepper and a smart finish from striker Stu Anderson was enough to secure a 2-0 away win at struggling Cornard United.
It was Whaley’s outfit’s seventh win in eight games, but the Hares boss is refusing to get carried away.
He said: “We’re keeping our feet on the ground because there’s a long way to go.
“However, you can’t take them points away from us. Teams with games in hand have got to get them points and you never know what can happen. The most pleasing part about Saturday was we weren’t at our best but we got the win.
You may also want to watch:
“Credit to Cornard, they sat men behind the ball and said ‘come and break us down’. It’s a new challenge for us. Sides try and stop us playing rather than having a go at us.
“We showed patience, were mature, and got the win - we’re now learning how to beat the bottom sides.”
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 6 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 7 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 8 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 9 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 10 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
March are without a game on Saturday and will host Whittlesey United in a friendly next Tuesday (7.45pm kick-off).
• Josh Westley’s goal helped March’s reserve side beat Chatteris Town Reserves 1-0 on Saturday. Phil White’s side host Guyhirn in the North Cambs Junior Cup Quarter Final on Saturday (1.45pm kick-off).