March Town United surrender lead and miss penalty in 2-1 defeat
Ridgeons First Division: March Town United 1 Brightlingsea Regent 2
MARCH Town United surrendered a one-goal lead and missed a penalty as they fell to a disappointing 2-1 defeat at home to Brightlingsea Regent on Saturday.
Manager Brett Whaley handed debuts to his new loan signings, 18-year-old ‘keeper Lewis Moat and left-winger Ryan Birtles, but the pair were prevented from making a winning start to their spells at the GER by the plucky Essex side.
The Hares took the lead in the first half when Chris Lenton headed home Gavin Cooke’s corner but two goals after the break knocked the stuffing out of Whaley’s troops.
Despite an uninspiring display, March were handed a lifeline 10 minutes from the end as they won a penalty and the chance of a point. But Ash Brand missed the spot-kick, consigning the Hares to their fourth league defeat of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Whaley said: “We just didn’t have a good day. We were disjointed and we didn’t play great football, whereas they played some decent stuff and they fully deserved to win.
“We have to accept that we are a young side at this level and we will have good days and bad days. Now, it’s about making sure we have more good than bad.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 3 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 9 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
“One real positive was Lewis’ performance. For an 18-year-old lad, I thought he put in a really commanding performance in goal.”
March entertain a Cambridge United XI tonight (7.45pm kick-off) to celebrate the club’s 125th anniversary. Tickets are �4 for adults and �2 for concessions/children.