Mark and Shaun seal weekend of success for March Boxing Club
- Credit: Archant
A boxing starlet from March Boxing Club is two fights away from national glory after reaching the last four of the Minors England Boxing Championships.
Promising fighter Mark Smith travelled to Debenham for the quarter-finals of the national competition, where he took on Surrey fighter, Denny Smith, in a 31kg encounter.
The 11-year-old boxed with poise and skill, dodging his opponent’s punches whilst landing several of his own.
Mark controlled the pace of the fight throughout, and survived a second-round fightback from the Surrey fighter to take the victory by unanimous decision and progress into the semi-finals, which are to take place this weekend.
Elsewhere, rising star Shaun Simpson capped a successful weekend for the March club by easing to victory in a show in Peterborough.
You may also want to watch:
Simpson stepped through the ropes to take on Cambridge Police ABC’s Rich Ellis in what was the March boxer’s fourth fight, and despite his lack of ring time, Simpson boxed with impressive timing and power to secure the win.
Simpson said: “Ellis was a tough and durable opponent, but a third win in five weeks for me is a great end of the season.”
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 5 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 6 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 10 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal