Mark and Shaun seal weekend of success for March Boxing Club
- Credit: Archant
A boxing starlet from March Boxing Club is two fights away from national glory after reaching the last four of the Minors England Boxing Championships.
Promising fighter Mark Smith travelled to Debenham for the quarter-finals of the national competition, where he took on Surrey fighter, Denny Smith, in a 31kg encounter.
The 11-year-old boxed with poise and skill, dodging his opponent’s punches whilst landing several of his own.
Mark controlled the pace of the fight throughout, and survived a second-round fightback from the Surrey fighter to take the victory by unanimous decision and progress into the semi-finals, which are to take place this weekend.
Elsewhere, rising star Shaun Simpson capped a successful weekend for the March club by easing to victory in a show in Peterborough.
You may also want to watch:
Simpson stepped through the ropes to take on Cambridge Police ABC’s Rich Ellis in what was the March boxer’s fourth fight, and despite his lack of ring time, Simpson boxed with impressive timing and power to secure the win.
Simpson said: “Ellis was a tough and durable opponent, but a third win in five weeks for me is a great end of the season.”
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 3 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 4 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 5 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 6 WATCH: Air ambulances can't land after hospital helipad wrecked by US aircraft
- 7 Man who died in road crash is named
- 8 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 9 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 10 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream