Mark and Shaun seal weekend of success for March Boxing Club
- Credit: Archant
A boxing starlet from March Boxing Club is two fights away from national glory after reaching the last four of the Minors England Boxing Championships.
Promising fighter Mark Smith travelled to Debenham for the quarter-finals of the national competition, where he took on Surrey fighter, Denny Smith, in a 31kg encounter.
The 11-year-old boxed with poise and skill, dodging his opponent’s punches whilst landing several of his own.
Mark controlled the pace of the fight throughout, and survived a second-round fightback from the Surrey fighter to take the victory by unanimous decision and progress into the semi-finals, which are to take place this weekend.
Elsewhere, rising star Shaun Simpson capped a successful weekend for the March club by easing to victory in a show in Peterborough.
You may also want to watch:
Simpson stepped through the ropes to take on Cambridge Police ABC’s Rich Ellis in what was the March boxer’s fourth fight, and despite his lack of ring time, Simpson boxed with impressive timing and power to secure the win.
Simpson said: “Ellis was a tough and durable opponent, but a third win in five weeks for me is a great end of the season.”
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 8 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 9 Fenland BusFest is back in Whittlesey this weekend
- 10 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed