Marshland High School boys dunk rivals to net hat-trick of district basketball titles
- Credit: Archant
Marshland High School have seen their five basketball teams enjoy plenty of success in the first half of the season.
The year 11 squad won the district title for a fifth year in a row at King’s Lynn Academy, winning all four games despite being without some key players.
Dontatas Verkicas, Alfie Kirk and Jaden Carter were the players of the tournament for a team that has only lost once, against a school from Northampton in the National Cup two years ago.
The year 10s were also crowned district champions, beating Springwood and KES in a very competitive tournament.
Ben Moore, Jack Seaman, Kasparas Adomovisius and Ben Dear were named players of the match in a great team display.
The third district title of the season went to the year nines, who shared the silverware with Litcham.
The group played well, showing a lot of technical ability, with Arnas Urbanas, Louis Cottrill, Riley Carter and Wyndell Parrett named players of the match.
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 5 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 6 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 7 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 8 Cannabis, cash and knives discovered after police raids in Whittlesey
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
The year seven and eight district tournaments will be held in the new year, but Marshland’s younger pupils have been in action in the Junior NBA competition run by England Basketball.
Both teams have been given new kits, with the year eights playing as ‘Detroit Pistons’ and beating KES 29-18 in their first match.
Arnas Urbanas scored 18 points and was named one of the players of the match, alongside the outstanding Alfie Cobb and Mackenzie Plitch.
The year seven squad were drafted as ‘Chicago Bulls’ and beat KES 26-10, before being edged out 23-22 by Springwood, as Denis Siurys, Tom Snape and Adam Lukosevicius was named players of the match.
Year 11s Marcus Holt and Ant Siguardson coach the team and the Junior NBA continues in 2019, with each team playing eight games.
PE teacher Dominic Stannard said: “I’m so proud of all players who have represented the school so far. The success at the district tournament has been incredible. I’d love it if we could win all five.
“Special mention for my year 11s who became the first team at Marshland to win the district tournament in every year from 7-11. To win every game in that time is an outstanding achievement.
“The Jnr NBA is an amazing opportunity and I thank England Basketball for inviting us to join. 390 students take part across the UK, our students love it and the buzz around basketball is fantastic.”