Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams edged out in thrilling BDO World Championship final
- Credit: Archant
Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams came agonisingly close to winning his fourth BDO World Championship last night.
The 2007, 2010 and 2011 champion was pipped 7-6 by Scott Mitchell in a thriller at the Lakeside.
Playing in his fifth final, the 58 year-old lost the first set but won six of the next eight legs to go 2-1 up.
The next three sets went with the darts before the pair exchanged breaks in the next five.
Mitchell missed four darts to go 5-3 ahead and Adams levelled at 4-4.
Mitchell went 6-5 up but Adams showed his resilience to force a deciding set. However, Mitchell, helped by a checkout of 158 in the first leg, landed double top to clinch the title.
Speaking after the epic contest, Adams said: “It wasn’t too shabby, was it? I could have played better early on, but that’s the way darts goes.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 10 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
“Fair play to Scotty, he beat me. He ain’t a bad old lad for a farmer’s boy. This is the greatest crowd I’ve ever come across.”