Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams edged out in thrilling BDO World Championship final
- Credit: Archant
Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams came agonisingly close to winning his fourth BDO World Championship last night.
The 2007, 2010 and 2011 champion was pipped 7-6 by Scott Mitchell in a thriller at the Lakeside.
Playing in his fifth final, the 58 year-old lost the first set but won six of the next eight legs to go 2-1 up.
The next three sets went with the darts before the pair exchanged breaks in the next five.
Mitchell missed four darts to go 5-3 ahead and Adams levelled at 4-4.
You may also want to watch:
Mitchell went 6-5 up but Adams showed his resilience to force a deciding set. However, Mitchell, helped by a checkout of 158 in the first leg, landed double top to clinch the title.
Speaking after the epic contest, Adams said: “It wasn’t too shabby, was it? I could have played better early on, but that’s the way darts goes.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 6 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
“Fair play to Scotty, he beat me. He ain’t a bad old lad for a farmer’s boy. This is the greatest crowd I’ve ever come across.”