Masterful Marlins: March’s senior swimmers break British and European records
SENIOR swimmers from March Marlins have smashed four British records and a European record at the British Gas ASA National Masters.
The men’s open 400m medley team, made up of Dan Wardley-Smith, Martyn Fresher, Stephen Mavin and Garry Mavin, powered to a stunning success in Sheffield. The quartet broke the British and European record as they cruised to victory.
Their triumph was the highlight of a memorable competition, which saw the Marlins’ most experienced swimmers return with 16 personal bests, 11 regional records and 12 club records.
Star of the show was Stephen Mavin, who took four first places and smashed a club, regional and British record in the men’s 100m freestyle.
Garry Mavin triumphed in the men’s 50m butterfly and Marie Doherty broke a regional record and set a personal best as she claimed second place in the women’s 1,500m freestyle.
You may also want to watch:
Martyn Fresher took second place in the men’s 200m breaststroke while Richard O’Leary and Andrew Fresher were also in good form.
The men’s open 200m medley team sealed a marvellous masters by breaking the British record before they combined once more to deliver victory in the open 200m team freestyle.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 3 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 4 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 7 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Dogs to join hounds across the world in global walk
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens