Matty Simpson strikes twice as Ely City see off Chatteris Town in pre-season friendly
- Credit: Archant
Ely City attacker Matty Simpson notched a brace as the Robins began their pre-season schedule with a 4-1 success over Fenland rivals, Chatteris Town.
The Fen sides went head-to-head in their first pre-season fixture at West Street on Friday (July 8), and the Robins were unphased by their lower league opponents and ran out comfortable winners in a well-contested encounter.
Spectators didn’t have to wait long until the opening goal, when a long ball, aimed towards Robins striker Luke Mansfield, caused havoc in the Chatteris defence and the ball rolled into the net in the seventh minute.
Chatteris searched for an instant reply but were unable to find one and Ely went into the break a goal to the good.
Ely are known for racing out the blocks in their matches, and that was certainly the case in the second half at West Street as Craig Neal slotted home following a neat passing move to double his side’s lead after seven second-half minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Simpson soon bagged the first of his brace when he turned home a loose ball after a corner, before Chatteris’ Josh Dodman reduced the deficit when his free-kick from the left drifted into the corner.
Simpson bagged his second and Ely’s fourth with a thumping header late on to give Brady Stone’s men a boost before their second pre-season encounter against Norwich City under 21s at the Unwin Ground tomorrow (7.45pm).
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 9 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
Chatteris return to friendly action on Saturday (July 16), with a home clash against UCL Premier Division side Huntingdon Town.