'Captain Fantastic' helps Fen Tigers secure dramatic league win
- Credit: Derek Leader
Captain Jordan Jenkins’ dramatic last heat victory ensured Mildenhall Fen Tigers earned a narrow two-point win in the National Development League.
Jenkins pulled off the win in heat 15 in an 18-point maximum to confirm a 46-44 triumph over Belle Vue Colts at West Row on August 8.
Mildenhall were without number one rider Jason Edwards, but started brightly as Luke Ruddick and Jenkins combined for an impressive 5-1 in heat one.
With ex-Fen Tiger Connor Coles able to have up to seven rides from reserve, the hosts struggled to dominate as Jack Smith and Harry McGurk shone for Belle Vue.
But a revitalised Elliot Kelly and Luke Muff, together with support from Jenkins, Sam Bebee and Sam Hagon saw Mildenhall home.
Team manager Malcolm Vasey said: “If there is more exciting speedway than at Mildenhall just now, I’d like to know where it is!
“There was some great racing with Jordan leading the way with a wonderful performance.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 3 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 4 Litter pickers find large meat cleaver at West End Park in March
- 5 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 6 ‘Life threatening threats, extortion’ as travellers wreak havoc
- 7 Pictures show major lorry blaze on A16 near Cambridgeshire
- 8 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 9 Ruth Neave: Who is Rikki Neave's mum and where is she now?
- 10 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
“Jordan has really stepped up to the plate now and is a captain on and off the track.
“It was great to hear the cheer from our supporters as Jordan passed the line in front to secure the win.”
Mildenhall are next in league action when they visit Belle Vue for the reverse fixture on September 3 after hosting the British under 19 final on August 22.
Mildenhall Fen Tigers: 46 – Jordan Jenkins 17+1 (Maximum 6 rides), Sam Hagon 9 (6), Luke Ruddick 7+1 (5), Elliot Kelly 5+2 (5), Luke Muff 5 (4), Sam Bebee 3+2 (5) and Jason Edwards R/R.
Belle Vue Colts: 44 – Harry McGurk 12 (5), Connor Coles 11+2 (6), Jack Smith 11+1 (5), Jack Parkinson Blackburn 7+1 (4), Sam McGurk 2 (3), Paul Bowen 0 (4) and Ben Woodhull 0 (3).