Mixed fortunes for Fenland’s boxers in dramatic National ABA semi-final bouts
THERE was triumph and despair for Fenland’s boxers at the weekend as the district’s brightest talents experienced mixed fortunes at the National Amateur Boxing Association Semi-Finals.
Chatteris sensation Jordan Gill is on the verge of making history after beating a five-time national champion to book his place in the final while March ABC boxer Charlie Stevens is also through after his opponent failed to make the weight.
But it was heartbreak for March’s other prospect Danny Hedges who was the victim of a controversial decision.
The referee called two shocking standing eight counts in the space of 30 seconds after Hedges took a couple of unremarkable right hands. To the dismay of March ABC coach Bernie Wing, a technical knockout was awarded to his opponent.
Wing said: “In all my boxing career I have never seen a stoppage like it. I blew my lid. I couldn’t believe it and neither could the crowd.
You may also want to watch:
“Danny was sick as a pig but now he’s back training and he just wants another fight.”
Gill and Stevens will bid for glory at the finals on May 22 and 23. Gill, 16, ended his opponent Alfie Price’s two year unbeaten run by clinching a majority decision.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 5 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 6 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 10 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
Coach Paul Gill said: “Going into this fight we felt that Jordan had a 50-50 chance. Now he has proved just how outstanding he is.”
The last Chatteris boxer to make it to the National ABA finals was Matty Payne in 1962.
Gill will also take to the ring at Chatteris ABC’s Boxing Show on May 28. Tickets - priced at �30 for the boxing and a meal or �10 for just the boxing - are available from Matty Payne on 01354 693630.