Mixed fortunes for Fenland’s boxers in dramatic National ABA semi-final bouts
THERE was triumph and despair for Fenland’s boxers at the weekend as the district’s brightest talents experienced mixed fortunes at the National Amateur Boxing Association Semi-Finals.
Chatteris sensation Jordan Gill is on the verge of making history after beating a five-time national champion to book his place in the final while March ABC boxer Charlie Stevens is also through after his opponent failed to make the weight.
But it was heartbreak for March’s other prospect Danny Hedges who was the victim of a controversial decision.
The referee called two shocking standing eight counts in the space of 30 seconds after Hedges took a couple of unremarkable right hands. To the dismay of March ABC coach Bernie Wing, a technical knockout was awarded to his opponent.
Wing said: “In all my boxing career I have never seen a stoppage like it. I blew my lid. I couldn’t believe it and neither could the crowd.
“Danny was sick as a pig but now he’s back training and he just wants another fight.”
Gill and Stevens will bid for glory at the finals on May 22 and 23. Gill, 16, ended his opponent Alfie Price’s two year unbeaten run by clinching a majority decision.
- 1 Whittlesey and March serve up cup thriller ahead of crucial weekend
- 2 Village's stunning Christmas lights display captured on camera
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 5 Santa lightens up the Fens in run-up to Christmas
- 6 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 7 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 8 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 9 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 10 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
Coach Paul Gill said: “Going into this fight we felt that Jordan had a 50-50 chance. Now he has proved just how outstanding he is.”
The last Chatteris boxer to make it to the National ABA finals was Matty Payne in 1962.
Gill will also take to the ring at Chatteris ABC’s Boxing Show on May 28. Tickets - priced at �30 for the boxing and a meal or �10 for just the boxing - are available from Matty Payne on 01354 693630.