Mollie makes a splash and breaks Eastern record at National championships
- Credit: Archant
Keen Wimblington swimmer Mollie Allen broke records when she swam to success at the ASA National Winter Meet.
The Wisbech Grammar School pupil beat the Eastern Region record by .27 of a second when she swam to sixth place in the A final of the 50 metres backstroke.
For the A final, Mollie joined world class athletes such as Georgia Davies, a double Gold Medalist at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, but was undeterred by her opponents and put in a sterling performance to set another personal best of 28.31 and break the Eastern Region record which previously stood at 28.58.
The Wisbech Grammar School pupil also swam in five individual events and one relay for the meet which took place over the course of a week, during which she achieved three personal best times and qualified for the A final, placing in an impressive tenth place out 90 competitors.
Mollie, whose regime often sees her training at 4am before school, is now focused on achieving Long Course (50M) qualifying times for the Rio Olympic Trials in April and National Long Course Championships in August.
You may also want to watch:
Phil Webb, Director of Sport at Wisbech Grammar School, said: “We are all so proud of Mollie and her swimming achievements. Her determination, hard-work and persistence have really paid off and we wish her the best of luck for her Olympic Trials in April.”
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 3 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 8 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down