FOOTBALL: Neale-Wade academy Year 7 girls’ 5-a-side takes on National Cup in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
On Friday March 9, the Year 7 girls took on Reepham High School from Norwich in 4th round of the National Cup.
They had previously come up against them at the indoor 5-a-side regional finals.
In the first half they played with the wind against them, which meant the defence had to work hard and follow through every clearance.
After 20 minutes, Reepham took the lead after a fantastic save by Peggy Thurlby ended in an unfortunate rebound.
Two minutes later, Neale Wade was desperate to get back on level terms.
Keira Swanson made a fantastic run and passed the ball down the line to Amy Hunt where a cross was delivered perfectly for Millie Jolley to attack and score.
In the second half, Neale Wade worked as a team and individually performed to the best of their ability.
- 1 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 5 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 6 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 10 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
With some fantastic defending from the team and important blocks from Lois Lane, we were able to gain more possession and create some dangerous attacks.
Lois took a shot from the edge of the box which came off the post and went in off one of the opposition to make it 2-1 to Neale Wade.
Shortly after Keira made the lead comfortable and scored to make it 3-1.
As play continued, Millie Jolley continued to win loose balls and pass onto the runs of other players.
The final goal was score by Millie herself to make it finish 4-1.
The girls are now through to the 5th round of the National Cup - last 16 in the country.
The Woman of the Match was Millie Jolley