Neale-Wade produces two cup-winning sides
NEALE-WADE Community College now have two cup-winning sides after their under-18 team won the Cambs County Cup at the GER on Wednesday afternoon. Last year, Neale-Wade lost in the semi-finals of the competition but they were finally able to lift the count
NEALE-WADE Community College now have two cup-winning sides after their under-18 team won the Cambs County Cup at the GER on Wednesday afternoon.
Last year, Neale-Wade lost in the semi-finals of the competition but they were finally able to lift the county cup after Rob Spendelow's goal earned the March team a 1-0 victory over St Ives Community College.
The success is Neale-Wade's second at county level this season and the under-18s' trophy will now stand alongside that won by the under-16 squad.
The final remained in the balance throughout but Neale-Wade forced the better chances.
You may also want to watch:
The March team had an early penalty shout turned down when Aaron Bailey was tripped in the box but the decisive goal came seven minutes before the break.
Good play in midfield released Rob Spendelow who tucked the ball away to open the scoring.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 7 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 8 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Residents make most of lockdown easing as Christmas comes early
The second half was a story of missed chances for Neale-Wade but they held on to win the match and the cup.
Team manager Dave Kenning said: "I thought that those missed chances would come back to haunt us but thankfully, that wasn't the case.
"I can't remember the last time we won this cup so I am absolutely delighted. I would like to thank March Town United for their support and the use of the GER pitch for the match."
Neale-Wade squad: Ben Collett, Jamie Stimpson, Ben Lemmon, Stuart Porter, Rob Menarry, Scott Welcher, Dean Russell, Lewis Hilliard, Elliot Welland, Aaron Bailey, Rob Spendelow, Sam Murphy, Josh Westley, Danny Waite, Daniel Bryant, James Mortlock.