Boys and girls teams at Neale-Wade win county badminton titles
- Credit: Archant
Neale-Wade Academy students have won both the boys and girls county badminton titles at U16 level.
The annual event was well contested and held at Cambridge University Sports Centre, run by badminton England.
Having qualified by winning the district championship, the boys team beat Ernulf, Comberton and Chesterton in the Group stages before winning a thrilling final 3-2 against old rivals Cottenham.
The girls lost narrowly to Comberton, but won their next three games convincingly against Witchford, Bushfield and north Cambridge Academy to win on points difference.
To win both competitions at this level is a fantastic achievement and is a tribute to the work done both by academy staff and coach Colin Bedford within youth badminton.
The teams will now represent Cambridgeshire in the South East Regional Competition at Thetford Leisure Centre on Tuesday March 20.
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 3 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier