Boys and girls teams at Neale-Wade win county badminton titles
- Credit: Archant
Neale-Wade Academy students have won both the boys and girls county badminton titles at U16 level.
The annual event was well contested and held at Cambridge University Sports Centre, run by badminton England.
Having qualified by winning the district championship, the boys team beat Ernulf, Comberton and Chesterton in the Group stages before winning a thrilling final 3-2 against old rivals Cottenham.
The girls lost narrowly to Comberton, but won their next three games convincingly against Witchford, Bushfield and north Cambridge Academy to win on points difference.
To win both competitions at this level is a fantastic achievement and is a tribute to the work done both by academy staff and coach Colin Bedford within youth badminton.
You may also want to watch:
The teams will now represent Cambridgeshire in the South East Regional Competition at Thetford Leisure Centre on Tuesday March 20.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 9 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 10 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role