Boys and girls teams at Neale-Wade win county badminton titles
- Credit: Archant
Neale-Wade Academy students have won both the boys and girls county badminton titles at U16 level.
The annual event was well contested and held at Cambridge University Sports Centre, run by badminton England.
Having qualified by winning the district championship, the boys team beat Ernulf, Comberton and Chesterton in the Group stages before winning a thrilling final 3-2 against old rivals Cottenham.
The girls lost narrowly to Comberton, but won their next three games convincingly against Witchford, Bushfield and north Cambridge Academy to win on points difference.
To win both competitions at this level is a fantastic achievement and is a tribute to the work done both by academy staff and coach Colin Bedford within youth badminton.
You may also want to watch:
The teams will now represent Cambridgeshire in the South East Regional Competition at Thetford Leisure Centre on Tuesday March 20.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 6 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 7 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 8 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 9 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 10 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating