Boys and girls teams at Neale-Wade win county badminton titles
- Credit: Archant
Neale-Wade Academy students have won both the boys and girls county badminton titles at U16 level.
The annual event was well contested and held at Cambridge University Sports Centre, run by badminton England.
Having qualified by winning the district championship, the boys team beat Ernulf, Comberton and Chesterton in the Group stages before winning a thrilling final 3-2 against old rivals Cottenham.
The girls lost narrowly to Comberton, but won their next three games convincingly against Witchford, Bushfield and north Cambridge Academy to win on points difference.
To win both competitions at this level is a fantastic achievement and is a tribute to the work done both by academy staff and coach Colin Bedford within youth badminton.
You may also want to watch:
The teams will now represent Cambridgeshire in the South East Regional Competition at Thetford Leisure Centre on Tuesday March 20.
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 6 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 7 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 8 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 9 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 10 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa