Netball stars the Australian Wanderers travel more than 9,400 miles to take on sides from around Fenland
- Credit: Archant
Netball in Fenland has received a huge boost - thanks to a visit from stars of the sport from down under.
Australian side the Australian Wanderers stopped off at Chatteris Netball Club as part of their UK tour, and took on some of Fenland’s finest young players from Chatteris, Wisbech, March and Whittlesey in a district-wide tournament.
The teams shared their experiences of the sport over lunch before going head-to-head at Cromwell Community College, with coaches from the Wanderers - based in New South Wales - sharing their expertise along the way.
And the tournament was a massive success, according to Chatteris Foxes head coach, Lucy Peyton.
“What an experience,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“The Australian Wanderers were the politest, friendliest and most talented young girls I’ve ever met. They were all so inspirational and I hope all our Fen girls learnt something.
“The Australian coaches were first class and gave our under 14 girls one hell of a master class in their netball match which showed in the players renewed confidence along with the lunchtime hot tips for our under 18 shooters.
- 1 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
“We thank them for their visit and Foxes will now be saving for an Australian tour. I have said a thousand times but a massive thank you to the committee for, as always, pulling together to help make this happen.”