Netball stars the Australian Wanderers travel more than 9,400 miles to take on sides from around Fenland
- Credit: Archant
Netball in Fenland has received a huge boost - thanks to a visit from stars of the sport from down under.
Australian side the Australian Wanderers stopped off at Chatteris Netball Club as part of their UK tour, and took on some of Fenland’s finest young players from Chatteris, Wisbech, March and Whittlesey in a district-wide tournament.
The teams shared their experiences of the sport over lunch before going head-to-head at Cromwell Community College, with coaches from the Wanderers - based in New South Wales - sharing their expertise along the way.
And the tournament was a massive success, according to Chatteris Foxes head coach, Lucy Peyton.
“What an experience,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“The Australian Wanderers were the politest, friendliest and most talented young girls I’ve ever met. They were all so inspirational and I hope all our Fen girls learnt something.
“The Australian coaches were first class and gave our under 14 girls one hell of a master class in their netball match which showed in the players renewed confidence along with the lunchtime hot tips for our under 18 shooters.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 3 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
- 9 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
“We thank them for their visit and Foxes will now be saving for an Australian tour. I have said a thousand times but a massive thank you to the committee for, as always, pulling together to help make this happen.”