Netball stars the Australian Wanderers travel more than 9,400 miles to take on sides from around Fenland
- Credit: Archant
Netball in Fenland has received a huge boost - thanks to a visit from stars of the sport from down under.
Australian side the Australian Wanderers stopped off at Chatteris Netball Club as part of their UK tour, and took on some of Fenland’s finest young players from Chatteris, Wisbech, March and Whittlesey in a district-wide tournament.
The teams shared their experiences of the sport over lunch before going head-to-head at Cromwell Community College, with coaches from the Wanderers - based in New South Wales - sharing their expertise along the way.
And the tournament was a massive success, according to Chatteris Foxes head coach, Lucy Peyton.
“What an experience,” she said.
“The Australian Wanderers were the politest, friendliest and most talented young girls I’ve ever met. They were all so inspirational and I hope all our Fen girls learnt something.
“The Australian coaches were first class and gave our under 14 girls one hell of a master class in their netball match which showed in the players renewed confidence along with the lunchtime hot tips for our under 18 shooters.
- 1 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 2 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 3 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 4 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 5 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 6 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 7 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 8 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
“We thank them for their visit and Foxes will now be saving for an Australian tour. I have said a thousand times but a massive thank you to the committee for, as always, pulling together to help make this happen.”