New sports body for Chatteris
A NEW sports body has been established to help develop, co-ordinate and promote sport in Chatteris. Sport Chatteris was set up following the publication of a leisure facilities survey commissioned by Chatteris Town Council. The report, published by Syzygy
A NEW sports body has been established to help develop, co-ordinate and promote sport in Chatteris.
Sport Chatteris was set up following the publication of a leisure facilities survey commissioned by Chatteris Town Council.
The report, published by Syzygy Leisure Consultants in October of last year, concluded that there is a strong demand for more leisure and sporting facilities in Chatteris but people are being forced to travel long distances to participate in sport.
Mike Behnke, director with Syzygy, said: "We found that in some sports, participation levels in Chatteris were way down on the national averages. But this was hardly surprising given the distances that people were travelling to attend clubs."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "Given the rate of growth in Chatteris, it is amazing how few sports facilities there are."
However, the report also highlighted that many people did not know of clubs and facilities already in the town.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
Behnke said: "We decided to set up a sports body not only to develop new facilities but also to raise the profile of existing clubs and get them to work together.
"Chatteris' growth has not been matched by sports and leisure facilities and the clubs that already exist are now struggling for space and facilities to enable them to grow.
"The membership of Sport Chatteris will be open to residents of all ages who wish to become involved in sport. But we also hope to attract businesses and professional people who believe that they can bring skills and investment."
* An open meeting is planned for September. For more information contact Liz or Mike Behnke on 01604 670222 or via email at email@example.com