New year, new start: Rejuvenated March Bears maul Biggleswade II
A LARGE crowd cheered rejuvenated March Bears to victory on Saturday as they stormed past Biggleswade II at Elm Road Sports Field.
Second half tries from Ben Pyle, Simon Whittaker and Simon Althoff ensured the Bears started 2013 in emphatic fashion with a 17-3 win.
After a scoreless first half, man of the match Kris Feaviour punched a hole in the Biggleswade defence to release Pyle.
A superb second try from Whittaker was converted by Jake Read before the visitors reduced the arrears to nine points with a penalty.
But, with five minutes remaining, the Bears put the result beyond doubt. Youngster Aaron Connor sped past the Biggleswade defence before off-loading to Althoff, who crashed over.
President Barry Feetham said he was thrilled with the display, which coincided with the club’s lunch for former players.
“It was a proud moment to see a performance from the all the players,” he said. “It was an awesome display of rugby and a superb day.”
- 1 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 2 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 3 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 100th birthday for Clovelly House resident
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 My boss, the Prime Minister, is not a liar, says MP Steve Barclay
The Bears travel to Harlow IV on Saturday.