New year, new start: Rejuvenated March Bears maul Biggleswade II
A LARGE crowd cheered rejuvenated March Bears to victory on Saturday as they stormed past Biggleswade II at Elm Road Sports Field.
Second half tries from Ben Pyle, Simon Whittaker and Simon Althoff ensured the Bears started 2013 in emphatic fashion with a 17-3 win.
After a scoreless first half, man of the match Kris Feaviour punched a hole in the Biggleswade defence to release Pyle.
A superb second try from Whittaker was converted by Jake Read before the visitors reduced the arrears to nine points with a penalty.
But, with five minutes remaining, the Bears put the result beyond doubt. Youngster Aaron Connor sped past the Biggleswade defence before off-loading to Althoff, who crashed over.
You may also want to watch:
President Barry Feetham said he was thrilled with the display, which coincided with the club’s lunch for former players.
“It was a proud moment to see a performance from the all the players,” he said. “It was an awesome display of rugby and a superb day.”
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
The Bears travel to Harlow IV on Saturday.