New year, new start: Rejuvenated March Bears maul Biggleswade II
A LARGE crowd cheered rejuvenated March Bears to victory on Saturday as they stormed past Biggleswade II at Elm Road Sports Field.
Second half tries from Ben Pyle, Simon Whittaker and Simon Althoff ensured the Bears started 2013 in emphatic fashion with a 17-3 win.
After a scoreless first half, man of the match Kris Feaviour punched a hole in the Biggleswade defence to release Pyle.
A superb second try from Whittaker was converted by Jake Read before the visitors reduced the arrears to nine points with a penalty.
But, with five minutes remaining, the Bears put the result beyond doubt. Youngster Aaron Connor sped past the Biggleswade defence before off-loading to Althoff, who crashed over.
You may also want to watch:
President Barry Feetham said he was thrilled with the display, which coincided with the club’s lunch for former players.
“It was a proud moment to see a performance from the all the players,” he said. “It was an awesome display of rugby and a superb day.”
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 6 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
The Bears travel to Harlow IV on Saturday.